8.23.2006,11:19
blip
Off to Washington state for the weekend -- eww!! Border crossings. I hate dealing with any kind of law that ain't my own.

I think I might travel a lot more if I could stay under Canadian jurisdiction wherever I went. See, to my mind, our laws up here are generally reasonable and so are those who enforce them (I did say generally). Why? Or more importantly, how's that different? I don't think Canadian cops figure that it is up to them to maintain the moral sanctimoniousness of the community, and that's a good thing. I'd really rather not have police running around worrying about our family values or whatever bullshit term's being used now. Canadian cops are officers of the peace, and I think that pattern holds for most Canadian law.

On the other hand, from the experiences I've had and the law officers I've met elsewhere, especially state side, this pattern does not hold elsewhere. How a town's youth are behaving? Cop problem. Marginalizing and/or scapegoating those with alternative lifestyles? Cop problem. Upholding moral majority? Cop problem.

Sigh. But it's still US here I come.

*please don't police my values*
 
posted by sasha
Permalink ยค