9.17.2004,11:15
"There is Only One Thing I Will Not Concede: That it Might Be Meaningless to Strive in a Good Cause"
- Vaclav Havel

He might just be my new god. Former president of the Czech Republic (who stepped down last year when he reached his term limit after governing for 13 years) and the force behind the Velvet Revolution, he has been nominated yet again for the Nobel Peace Prize. I've just finished reading his "Politics, Morality, and Civility" (a great article!) in which he's prone to saying things such as "Those who find themselves in politics... bear a heightened responsibility for the moral state of society" and "Genuine politics -- politics worthy of the name, and the only politics I am willing to devote myself to -- is simply a matter of serving those around us: serving the community, and serving those who will come after us." And these words from a seasoned politician. It restores my faith in, well, almost everything.

If I ever do go into politics, it will be so that I too, in the tradition of Havel, "can try to create around me, in the world of so-called high politics, a positive climate, a climate of generosity, tolerance, openness, broadmindedness, and a kind of elementary companionship and mutual trust." He goes on to say that "In this sphere I am far from being the decisive factor. But I can have a psychological influence." And really, that's all I ask.

And in further keep-the-faith type proof that there are good people out there, read about this woman in Venice raging against evil (link gleefully stolen from Russ).


 
posted by sasha
Permalink ยค