4.20.2003,23:37
emotional tourism

you know what I really don't need any more of in my life? emotional tourist relatives. those are the ones that are very happy to see you every year or so and coo with delight over how wonderful you are, and how beautiful and brilliant their family is without ever actually being willing to make any sort of contribution to their well being. out of sight, out of mind.news flash: if we are that wonderful, it is inspite of you, not because of you.

both my father and grandfather fall into this group. my grandfather has just been here for a visit, and he is a very interesting and loving person, and his current wife is certainly my favorite of his most recent few, but I do feel a bit dirty when forced to consider being related to someone who completely lacks a conscience. How many meals do you have to eat in your daughter's tiny basement suite around a coffee table (because a proper table won't fit) before you start to feel a bit sick going back to your big posh house on the lake, complete with your sailboat, shiny new suv, 40+ foot long rv, several atvs, and etc??

and then, we get to lister to YOU whine about being broke. yeah, I might break you... I mean jesus fuck, it's nice to see you and all, but to have you come here and take credit for a few days for how great we all turned out, but constantly refuse to make any sort of financial contribution to any aspect of their well being, even including sending your 16 year old granddaughter to a fantastic educational summer camp, or, as your wife suggested, buying me a microwave or something for a house warming present.

now, at this point, I do have to make the point that I don't especially care about money, and in fact I never have, but I do resent people taking credit for who I am without making any contribution towards my life, not even any sort of emotional commitment. you aren't interested in hearing about our problems or trials, let alone helping, so please realize that who I am is not something you should congratulate yourself on. on the contrary. I feel just a little exploited.
 
posted by sasha
Permalink ยค