3.11.2003,17:53
An encounter at Broadway and Commercial

I was walking C up to the skytrain station to head on his way to school, and crossing Commercial we see an old homeless guy walking across the street barefoot, and I have to admit, it pulls my heartstrings. I drop C off and head up a couple of blocks to pick up a few groceries, and on my way home I notice that he's still standing in front of the bank, so I stop and give him a twoonie from my change and two oranges from my grocery bag. He looks up at me and smiles a big jack-o-lantern smile and says "Oh, dear, you've just made an old man's day. Now I have a meal, and after that I can take this two bucks up the street and there's a place I can buy a coffee and they'll let me sit inside for an hour or two and warm up my feet." At this point he lifts one of his bare feet of the ground and wiggles his toes in the air, laughing. I have to admit, I could feel tears just behind my eyes. Then he looks at me very seriously and says "you have good karma coming to you. Happy international women's week" before walking away. And it made me feel really good, but it also got me thinking, I'd just had a genuinely positive impact on someone's day, I could tell that by the way he grinned as he walked away, and it was easier than deciding what to wear this morning. Maybe we get a bit too caught up in the little shit sometimes, eh? It's really good to be jarred back into perspective like that.
 
posted by sasha
Permalink ยค