8.11.2007,18:10
sweet moments
Every teacher looks forward to the end of term, I'm sure. The last day of class is a sweet one, when you have a rare chance to reflect on the students' accomplishments and your own foibles and successes. In adult ed though, I think it might be even sweeter yet. I know I've been spoiled, but it is really quite different from high school, even if the students are high school age. It must have something to do with the fact that in our system, students select their classes and design their schedules, which means every student in a class has chosen to be there (at least, this is the reason I'm sticking to), because they sure appreciate their teachers in a way I've never seen in a high school.

We had our last class of Friday. The class was writing a test, and even so, they were all lovely. It's wonderful to hear from students what they have learned from you and how they have enjoyed your hard work, and let me say, I certainly got my fair share of this. Hugs, handshakes, fond farewells, and so much earnestness my BS detector would go of it it were in any other context. So sweet. Two of my students brought me a beautiful blue agate bracelet, and another two, a dozen pink roses. I felt like a bloody debutante. Did I mention we were only in session for 6 weeks? I just might never have a better, more generous, kinder class.
 
posted by sasha
Permalink ยค