9.08.2003,11:02
state of the world address

it gives me hope for the future that: ubc is actaully offering a course on refugees, immigrants, settlement and migration this year. and it's being taught by a genius. I do however have to wonder, how the hell they can justify this being the first year that such a course has been offered. Did migration, forced migration and settlement just recently become important issues? Have we just for the first time begun leaving our countries of birth, or being forced out (one way or another)? No, it has happened before? Then what gives?

I know the apocalypse is at hand because: while standing on the bus on my way home last week, a very elderly man with a cane got on the bus, and not only did all of the seated passengers (who included several young, extemely loud men who thought they were part of the cast of dragon ball z and a couple discussion their upcoming scuba diving adventure) fail to stand and offer their seat to this man, both dragon ball z boy #2 and he of the she/he diving team, thought it was acceptable to get mad (and yell loudly) at me for suggesting that one of them might want to offer their seat to this man who clearly could not stand on his own. Fucking sad, I have to say.

I am however, on the whole, very glad to be back at school. my courses seem very promising, with the exception of maybe french fur dumbasses #2, but hey, at least there's no term paper. the only downpoint so far is that I am already getting behind in my reading, since I can't afford to buy my books until my student loan arrives, which, let's face it, could be any time between now and the second coming.
 
posted by sasha
Permalink ยค