5.19.2006,13:30
content
okay, let's see... where do we stand inturnet? I used to post pictures and random art and the occasional political rant, but in the past while, this has all gone downhill. I don't have the right software on this computer (my mom's laptop, aka. the temporary replacement after motherboard death) to post pictures anymore and I guess I just haven't had much patience for writing. This (for now) ends here.

In other words, have some content internet!

But I don't promise that my content will be any less random than I am!

Here's my favorite quote from one of my practicum final reports: "As a role model in the classroom, Sasha epitomizes communicative clarity."

Mmmepitomizes.

I'm starting to wrap my head around getting my application in to the Vancouver School Board. I think my aim is to spend next year subbing so I get a chance to test the district waters while having a markedly less insane workload. The problem is, I can't quite believe that any of this is real. I don't even know what it looks like to have your shit together - the idea of being completely self-reliant, sans student loan funds or any other kind of net, by the middle of August is daunting at best. Then, there's the dauntingness factor of the whole getting a career and a life thing. Yeah. I'm going to do what I always do - grit my teeth, put my head down, and pretend to believe that I can handle all of this.

And, on a completely unrelated note, I've come across another meme that will make a good forum for my own venting/ranting, so here it is: 10 things that I care deeply about, and for contrast sake, 10 things I couldn't even be paid to care about.

10 things I care about, deeply, passionately, randomly, and so on (in relatively random order):

1. the violation of basic human rights by exploitative labour practices
2. violence against women
3. systemic racism against (among other groups) indigenous peoples in Canada
4. the state and quality of our public school system (I want that Minister of Education job SO DAMNED BADLY!!)
5. okay, this should have been #1, I concede. My brilliant, beautiful family whom I literally couldn't live without
6. the woodwards re-development - I so wish I could afford to buy in. Best new housing development in this city in so long. It's just so rare to have the chance to put your money where your mouth is and support a project that is at the same time socially, politically, and environmentally progressive (even if it ain't perfect by a long shot)
7. teaching young people to be critical media consumers instead of passive information-receiving intellectual wastelands.
8. Canada's ongoing failure to take Kyoto, or global warming more generally, serious enough to warrant actual policy
9. helping Canadians become politically savvy enough to actually demand better governance and politicians
10. fair trade

10 things that are completely not worth a single iota of my time or attention and I wouldn't give a flying shit about if you paid me:
1. obtaining material goods to impress others
2. whether SUV driving Americans will always have cheap and easy access to enough dead dinosaurs to fuel their desire to run over everyone else (figuratively, of course)
3. fashion trends
4. celebrities and other empty-headed arseholes we're supposed to pay attention to (excepting of course people like Angelina Joli, Jon Stewart, and Steven Colbert who actually use their powers for good)
5. living in the right "zipcode" or income bracket to be "socially acceptable"
6. petty infighting in the republican party
7. who anyone (Clinton, gay people, my mom, your mom, Lindsay Lohan, etc.) has sex with (unless it's children, in which case I might actually support mob justice)
8. survivor/american idol/random trendy TV shite
9. doing what others think I ought to, if it conflicts with what I believe is right
10. avian flu. yeah, you heard me. I'm the girl who lived through the chicken pox 4 times. bring it on, foul fowl.

I'm going to call that content for the day. Are you content? Maybe I'll go do some reading now.
 
posted by sasha
Permalink ยค