5.26.2005,09:43
objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear
Days that are out of the ordinary always throw me off. They require things like extensive planning, stuff you have to do in advance. And really, it's not that I'm not used to doing thing ahead of time, it's just that school deadlines are the only ones that seem natural. Anything that doesn't require days of research should just be able to happen spontaniously, right? Only we all know that's not true. Making abnormal days work and be tolerably pleasant requires planning. I've learned this well enough to have ensured, for example, that several of my friends had more satisfying highschool grads than I did. It wasn't hard, it just took planning. I loved travelling, and all it took was planning. But the problem is, planning only takes you so far, and I might be a bit of a planning junkie. Yesterday Cam pointed out to me that I'd been planning a grocery shopping trip for two days. But I'm busy, I said, so it affects other things too. See, there does come a point when you have to stop planning and simply throw some crap in a bag and get out there and just do whatever needs doing. I can wake up and enjoy any day, it's not something I find tough at all, but these deviant days are more complex, because enjoying them requires good planning, and I'm never sure that mine has been good enough, especially for days that have so much hype built up around them. It just might be true that the things you have to plan for simply can never be as good as the things that just happen spontaniously.
 
posted by sasha
Permalink ยค